Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Looking back: London Ontario, mallards, winter, campus, trains

Probably done around 1997 on location in London Ontario, these are some early winter paintings. The mallard ducks were having none of it though, people had been feeding them and they were happy to hang around! 

Mallards winter, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, ~1997

Nowadays I would have put my initials on it, but here I added UWO, or, University of Western Ontario. I was probably sitting on the bleachers to make this painting. Middlesex tower is visible in the background.

 UWO scoreboard, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, ~1997

A view downtown from along the Thames river, looking at an office tower with trees in the foreground. I did not have perylene green at the time, but made a pretty good dark green probably with viridian hue (PG7) and alizarin crimson (PR83). Alizarin crimson has very poor stability and I completely dropped it in 2020, switched to perylene maroon (PY179) and quinacridone magenta (PR122). 

Office tower winter trees, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, ~1997


Another one of my favorites from the era, I was standing with my bike on a train bridge looking towards downtown in the distance. The sun was just coming through the overcast clouds, making a blue-grey tint in the distance, and reflective highlights on the train tracks. 

Sun glow city train tracks, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, ~1997

 Vague memories, but I believe its after the winter of 97-98, so April or may of 1998. It has a great atmospheric quality, although I had a bad habit of painting things crooked. It wasn't until the epic 68 stations of the Montreal metro series that I finally learned to paint buildings straight. 

Glass tunnel campus early spring, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment