Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Scenes along bike path near Trenholme park

Riding along the Maisonneuve bike path behind Trenholme park, and there were a few good scenes to paint after work. This one shows the train tracks and pea stone embankment in partial shadows, with creeper vines growing along the front fence. The shadow was done with dilute indo blue (PB60) dark magenta (PV55) and burnt red ochre (PR102). 


Train track embankment shadow, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August 2026

Looking towards the park, and you see an embankment grown over with wildflowers, a kind of yellow Queen Anne Lace variety. I worked up successive layers of green, yellow-green, yellow and dabs of dark green and brown. It was a real 'flex' on the yellow-green range of my palette. In the background, is one of the large condos buildings on Sherbrooke street. 

Yellow flower embankment horizontal, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August 2026

As I painted the previous scene, I noticed a few bright white flowers growing in among the yellow wildflowers, but it was too late to include them in that painting. In this version, I composed the scene on the vertical axis, then made sure to keep the paper showing where you see the white flowers. Bismuth vanadate yellow (PY184) provided the intensity here, although it is a very opaque paint, it can shine when put next to more neutral colours. 

Yellow flower embankment vertical, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August 2026 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment