Sunday, June 9, 2024

Waiting out the Rain, Villa-Maria station

I barely made it halfway up Girouard avenue when the deluge hit. Luckily they have finally completed the Villa-Maria station so there was a bit of shelter there. Taking the opportunity I made this painting of the bus waiting area as the rain poured down. Last time I painted this station is was a grisly wet winter day and I could only see the construction fence. Now that it is complete maybe I can get back there on a sunny day and do a proper painting of it. 

To paint the wet concrete sidewalk, I applied a graded wash that changed from beige on the bottom to pale blue, then just blank paper. Surrounding it with heavy textured elements completed the illusion. The pillar shadows are added when the paint is still moist to give the soft shimmering look. With a bit of practice this effect can be quite effective, it is similar to what I did with the geraniums on the deck on a rainy day last year.
 

Waiting out the Rain, Villa-Maria station,  watercolour 5 x 7" 80lb, June 2024

 

Here is the insta format (5:4), I copy this into instagram or facebook

 



No comments:

Post a Comment