Thursday, July 23, 2009

Calling Dali

I don't know if I was ever directly inspired by Dali, but I certainly gravitated towards the surrealism style, as exemplified here in a work entitled Calling Dali. I was impressed by his lobster telephones one of which I saw at the Dali museum in St. Petersburg Florida, and thought that this painting kind of looked like a lobster telephone. At any rate, it had some Dali like characteristics, the extended branches across a stark blue sky, the melting organic structures, and the stark primary colours and complementary contrasts. Some of the motifs though are more 'Darlington' like the green tree line and the ocean , and that partiular shade of green I use on the grass that seems to come up again and again. I wonder if it is ok for an artist to talk about themselves in the third person, or is it a sign of egomania?

5x7 cold press paper, done between 2002-2004

No comments:

Post a Comment