Saturday, September 1, 2012

Attempted Evolution

Many things are attempted and they are not all achieved, in life, in work, in evolution? In this painting a funny potato looking creature stands quizzically in the foreground, wondering when he/she will be able to fly with only a pair of undersized wings. Soaring above are the evolved creatures. The rest of the painting is classic doodleism style, kind of like "Creation's Creations" or maybe the "2010 Solution", the latter of which I have hung on the wall of my studio room for now, kind of a personal favourite.

All of the paintings that are done on 22x30" format are stretched on a wooden rack I made years ago... ten years to be exact. I made the rack for the first 22x30, "The Grapes of Tuscany" which is in my Aunt's collection. On the back of the rack I have recorded each painting that was done, there are 31 titles there, already four this year so I'm on pace to do the most this year (did 5 in 2011). I also recently bought three sheets of oversized paper, they are 44x30 which is double size I have been working on to date. The new paper is 90pound hot press, this means that it is thinner and smoother than the current paper (180 pound cold press) and therefore better for producing detail. Not sure what I'll do with the 44x30" yet, thinking either a massive doodle painting, or a giant landscape, perhaps something totally original...

22x30" cold press. 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment