Sunday, February 3, 2013

Impression of a Sunset in Cedar Mills, Ontario

Painted years ago not far from Bolton, Ontario, this painting shows a sunset over a pond in a quiet neighbourhood called Cedar Mills. I was obviously inspired by Monet! In fact, he did a painting called 'Impression of a sunset" which some people say is the reason why they called the whole art movement "impressionism". So I kind of stole part of the title for this one, a homage as they say.

 This is a good example of a purple-yellow colour scheme. Very rarely do you see these colours in nature... the last painting I remember with this kind of colour was the Place Furstenberg, Paris.This one was tough, the paint would not dry, you see the rough edges everywhere because I was using a clean brush to blot out all the paint to create the shapes. Somehow it worked I think!

5x7" cold press. 1997?

No comments:

Post a Comment