Sunday, April 3, 2016

Rockley Resort, Barbados


 

Awhile ago I took a trip to Barbados for two weeks and made a number of paintings under the bright Caribbean sun. The first few I did were bland and lifeless, probably because I had just arrived from London Ontario in February where it was grey, cold and overcast. A local person saw my paintings and told me to add more colour, to make them brighter. The trick was to exaggerate the colours and push the contrast as much as possible, and to channel the energy from environment to brush to paper. This was a little scene across from the motel I was at, near Accra beach. It goes to show how important it is for an artist to be on location to properly paint landscapes.

Rockley Resort, Barbados 5 x 8" cold press, watercolour, November 2001 (No. 1165)

No comments:

Post a Comment