Thursday, August 30, 2018

Sunflowers, NDG, Montreal

Here is a small painting I did of a large sunflower growing in one of the community garden boxes on Somerled Avenue near Prince of Wales. I exaggerated the proportions to make it look like more of a close up, in fact, I was sitting all the way across the street since there was no way to sit closer. In the background is the Metro grocery store, but I put windows on it so that it looked more like a building. That is called artistic license! This is on 140lb hot press for a change ( I usually use cold press). The conditions were extremely humid so the paint wasn't drying fast, which created the blurred effect. I kind of like that, it draws even more attention to the main sunflower at the top. I wanted to paint these flowers to practice!

5.5 x 7.5" hot press, Watercolour. Aug 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment