Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Cabot Square, Montreal

It was an adventure filled hour, complete with a ceremonial parade. I found this scene in the newly renovated park just outside of Atwater metro stop called Cabot Square. There were a lot of locals there an they were very interested in looking at my painting and talking to me. The park was all cobblestone with trees, benches, the statue and the gazebo that seems to be in every urban Montreal park. The paint wasn't drying too well so the shadow effects were a challenge, you see the purple blurred into the background and then I painted a shadow shape over top when the whole thing dried. As I neared completion a ceremonial Islamic parade came by, everybody was dressed in black and there were flags and brochures they handed out. Some of the young children sat next to me and looked at the painting out of curiosity. I had to get it finished and move on because the entire park filled with about one hundred people. That in itself would have made a pretty amazing painting but I don't know how they would have felt if I were painting their ceremony. Maybe next time I can try and catch the urban drama you never know what you see downtown.

10 x 8" hot press block, watercolour 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment