Saturday, August 24, 2019

Fate of the World

At times I really try to push the technique in a new, strange direction just to see what the results are. In this painting (along with Dream Tree, and a few others), the paint was applied in great, wet blobs and allowed to dry over night before applying another layering in the same manner. Wet-in-wet washes were then applied to fill in the empty spaces. As I write this blog I can't remember exactly what I was thinking at the time other than I probably had a few too many beers in me. The idea of contrasting the blue and orange like that was a challenge that I was working on for awhile and never felt that I really got it. It is supposed to be like ice cubes sitting on flowing-lava, or cold rain on a hot fire. The title may have something to do with climate change? I like how at the very top of the painting, roughly in the middle, it looks like clouds with sun poking through, then the rest of it is just a mess of hot cold, and splotches of green. Maybe I should try this one again on a larger format.

15 x 22" cold press Watercolour, 2006 (?)

No comments:

Post a Comment