Thursday, July 8, 2021

Bench Under Pine Trees Rainy Day

With the crummy weather I was just able to get out in the afternoon for a quick painting under the pine trees where I painted the neat ice scene last winter. Actually, for this painting I was sitting in the bench that you see in the other painting. Several squirrels came by and were quite bold, I threw them some peanuts. When painting in overcast conditions, it is important to keep the value contrast high. For example I kept the grass lighter than it appeared, and the pine needles darker than they appeared. In doing so, the painting looks lively in normal viewing conditions. There is about 10,000 times less light on an overcast day compared to a bright sunny day. Your eyes adjust a lot making things always look similar. As an artist, that is the final lesson- to not believe your eyes! 

Bench Under Pine Trees Rainy Day, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, July 2021 (No. 2749)

No comments:

Post a Comment