Sunday, August 8, 2021

Lake Mohawk, Fallen Birch, Sutton

 

On my hike around Lake Mohawk in Mount Sutton I came across this scene of trees that had fallen into the lake. The trunks and branches were partially submerged creating a toffee-like colour underneath the surface of the water. On top were abundant lily pads with little yellow flowers, and a reflection of the steep tree line and sky. I stared at this scene for quite some time knowing that I wanted to paint it, but was not quite sure how, in fact, it was like doing three paintings in one! It was also an unconventional scene to paint, but in the end I decided to go for it. So this is the 'artist's choice' painting. 

I practiced painting swamps in the East of Montreal island, so I knew that umber was tempting but would be too muddy. Instead I worked with red ochre which is more of a red iron oxide (PR101) and neutralized it with perylene green (PBk31) to create the depths of the swamp. At close range the swamp has that coffee colour, at distant more of a misty green. I left the sky highlight area blank until the end, then covered it in a thin blue wash (PB28 and PB15). The birch tree and other trees were done with various shades of grey and beige, while the green highlights were yellow (PY154/175) and green (PG36). I had to leave the shapes of the lily pads blank too, and make sure some of them were overlapping the trees. This was an intricate painting to complete, more like a jigsaw puzzle than a painting. There were also all manner of insects on me, and some hot humid conditions. When I propped this painting up in the room later on, it seemed almost photographic at the right distance. At least it captured the moment, and anyone who has hiked around lakes before will recognize the authenticity of this scene.

Lake Mohawk, Fallen Birch, Sutton watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August 2021 (No. 2778)

No comments:

Post a Comment