Sunday, October 31, 2021

De la Concorde Station, Orange Line, Laval

 

To get to Laval I rode my bike over to Victoria Avenue then headed along Kindersley to Lucerne northwards along St Croix then O'Brien. From there I followed the river path and crossed at Ile Perry to Laval. The hard part was swimming across the river, I had to keep the paints dry. After climbing onto shore, I thought it would be a lot further but then in the corner of my eye, I spotted the tell tale metro sign after a short bike ride. If you look carefully you can see the sign somewhere in this painting. Next time I am there I have a feeling it will all be condos. 

Where is the Station? De la Concorde Station, Orange Line, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, October 2021

 

The station was simple enough, a concrete structure with a large platform for the above-ground light rail train connection. A lot of people were getting on and off. You can see the double-decker train hiding behind the trees. I left that spot blank and worked on the rest of the painting until the train arrived. Luckily it stuck around long enough to get in some details. The fall colours were done by mixing a high chroma hue with its matching low chroma earth paint. For example, pyrol orange (PO73) with burnt ochre (PR102).

All aboard! De la Concorde Station, Orange Line, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, October 2021 (No. 2864)

 

The station had a large glass structure similar to what I saw at St. Enoch station in Scotland, but the weather was looking rough so I chose an easier scene. There was a winding path made of pale red bricks, with burning bushes lining the way. Not literally burning, but they had that rose-red colour that only appears in the fall. It was a harder painting than I thought because the green grass was quite a contrast with the red and magenta accents. The station structure is in the background at the top. After finishing this painting I picked up the bike and ran by foot to the next station. It was a real triathlon, biking, swimming and running.

Pink brick Path, De la Concorde Station, Orange Line, 9 x 12" watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, October 2021 (No. 2865)

No comments:

Post a Comment