Sunday, January 23, 2022

Bike Ride to Park Angrignon

With a slight improvement in the weather, I decided to go out for a bike ride on my little mountain bike. I call it the ab-master because my knees go high with each rotation much like doing the dreaded abdominal-crunches. It was definitely a physical challenge, although I made good time. The snow was compressed on the bike paths but riddled with foot prints and surrounded by deep snow. The original plan was to try to make it out to Lachine along the path, but it was clear that that would require a few more ab-crunches. The route to Park Angrignon involves crossing over the canal on a narrow foot bridge, and following the sidewalk of a road called Senkus through an industrial area, straight to the park. Turning left in the park, I arrived at the Angrignon station, and made this painting standing at the shore line of a frozen pond. The sun was directly behind me, creating an interesting perspective on the tree shadows. The iconic orange arches are seen in the distance.

Frozen Pond with view of Angrignon Station, Green Line, watercolour 5 x 7" hot press, January 2022 (No. 3061a)

 

This scene shows the small creek which flows through the park. The embankments were covered in soft snow and criss-crossed with trees and shadows. As I painted this I was thinking of a Szabo painting exercise I did in 2020, now that painting is with Mom and Dad in a nice frame. It also reminded me of the old days when Dad and I skied cross-country at Albion Hills or Palgrave. There was actually a pair of mallard ducks in the creek, they were strategically located near the bridge, behind me, and were getting a lot of attention,and food from the passer-byes.

Winter Creek, Park Angrignon, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, January 2022 (No. 3062a)

 

Senkus Street has a massive warehouse and truck depot, which is not seen in this painting, but snow was blowing off the top of the warehouse in impressive billows of white powder. There was also an enormous pile of snow, and some condo building under construction in the background. I almost biked past this scene, but was tempted to try and capture the blowing snow effect. You certainly get the feel of an extremely cold day!

Blowing Snow near Warehouse, watercolour 5 x 7" hot press, January 2022 (No. 3061b)

No comments:

Post a Comment