Wednesday, May 11, 2022

New Leaves on Campus

 

You would never know it but this painting was done on campus. During my lunch break I had a seat on the terraced seating area under a tree to get some shade. The tree leaves were very interesting and almost poetic. It is a very challenging painting considering the simplistic subject matter. The yellow and chartreuse of the leaves can not overlap with the blue. To paint a scene like this, the shapes of the leaves have to painted first, then the background, then the darker leaves and branch details. At least you can imagine me staring up into the sky with my paint set in hand. A few people called out and wanted to see what I was doing and I showed them the painting. 

New Leaves on Campus, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, May 2022 (No. 3110a)

No comments:

Post a Comment