Sunday, November 13, 2022

A Fleeting Moment

 

Every now and then I do a really memorable painting, and today there were two like that. The protestors on the downtown campus, and this painting of a fleeting moment on the Maisonneuve bike path. It was a rather cold and windy day, and I was trying to get home as fast as possible. Then I saw this scene of the remains of the sunset and the Dépanneur with its illuminated yellow and red sign. Without hesitation, I stopped and set up my bike on the narrow concrete divider between the bike path and street. I applied the sky first, working from yellow to orange to lilac with variations of blue. As it dried I worked up the dark parts and basic outline of the skyscrapers. Somebody walked up beside me and watched for awhile out of curiosity. The right side was difficult, but it all came together. The last touch was some bismuth yellow (PY184). Since my main palette was wet I had to use one of my other palettes, which I call 'the everything palette' which had extra colours such as a nice purple (PV23), black (PBk9), and orange (PO36). If you can just imagine freezing your arse off and getting blown by wind, then you can get the full experience of being on this location. 

A Fleeting Moment, Sunset on Maisonneuve Bike Path, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, November 2022 (No. 3288)

No comments:

Post a Comment