Saturday, December 31, 2022

The Web we Leave: Lab Book #24

 


The Web we Leave is based upon the doodles in the first part of my 24th lab book. The lab books number back to my time as a graduate student, then as a postdoc, and finally as a professor. The earlier lab books are not in my possession but I made some photocopies, and made paintings of most of the essential doodles from those books. This is a full sized version I just took a picture of using my small interior LED tripod lamps. 

The Web we Leave: Lab Book #24, watercolour 22 x 30" cold press, December 2022 (No. 3354)

Here are some crops and further thoughts on the painting:

 

Crop 1 Most years I have completed at least one large format (22 x 30") painting. Last year it was Saturation Costs. Today I finished another installment of the Lab Book series, using notes from about half of my 24th lab book which spans mid 2021 until late 2022. It was filled with an unusually large number of doodles in the margins and spilling over onto the pages. I replicated each doodle using bone black (PBk9) slightly tinted with blue (PB60) yellow (PY154) or brown (PR101), and a number 0 sable brush. Random doodles were then coloured in with blue, red, green or yellow. The style was meant to emulate the late Keith Haring, a famous New York graffiti/pop artist. His work consisted of simple outlines of characters and objects coloured in with a limited, but bright palette.

Crop 2 Here is a second crop of the painting. I could only fit a segment into the scanner. Its just barely visible to the left, but there is a conveyor belt making covid vaccines, with virus-shaped gears running it, and money being turned out. It was a comment on how the virus created the need for vaccine, which generated a lot of profit for industry.  


Crop 3 The virus cogs, conveyor belt, and cash

No comments:

Post a Comment