Sunday, March 5, 2023

Another Attempt at the Canal Path

 

Today I made another attempt at the canal path by bike and it went slightly better but the path still has a thick layer of wet snow. I was standing on the other side of the canal looking to the west, with the sun directly in front. A buoy was trapped in the ice. Part of the canal has been naturalized here. The walls of the canal were removed, a dirt embankment goes into the water, and reeds were planted for about a kilometer. I used a different format today, 6 x 10", which is what you get leftover from cutting 8 x 10" pieces out of a 22 x 30" sheet. I quite like the format, and it will be good for tall buildings.

Frozen Buoy in Canal, watercolour 6 x 10" cold press, March 2023 (No. 3378a)



In ville st Henri, there is a postage-stamp sized park called Square Sir-George-Étienne-Cartier. It is like several postage stamps in a row, stretching all the way down to the canal. With the last light I decided to make a go of it. At least the snow piles made for interesting tree shadows. I was surprised at how blue the shadows came out, I guess all that palette cleansing was worth while! I decided to throw a figure in this one. Since my ability to paint cars has improved substantially, its now time to work on depicting people. 

Snow Piles and Tree Shadows, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, March 2023 (No. 3409b)

No comments:

Post a Comment