Thursday, November 9, 2023

Wild flowers next to Path, Bolton

I don't know why this painting never made it on the blog, probably because I liked it so much I left it on the kitchen table display for a month after getting home. Cilei gave me a wire frame display rack, meant for propping up books, but I use it to display the latest favorite paintings. Speaking of which it is almost time to start preparing the 'year in review post' which is pretty fun to do. I already know the painting of the year, although there is still some time left to make something better. Its been a great year for painting and the blog got the most views ever largely due to the Brazil, Bolton, and Quebec City trips. In this painting, I stood on a walking path next to the Humber River (which is just to my right but not seen in the painting) and looked back towards the direction of highway 50 which would be just past the end of the path in the background. To paint the wild flowers I had to leave the flower areas blank and then fill them in with colour, followed by some shape adjustment. There were magenta cone flowers from clover, brown eyed Susans, daisies, Queen Anne's lace, and miscellaneous small yellow and white flowers. The idea was to pack the area with as many flowers as possible to give a sense of an overflowing, summery abundance. Actually, the mowed lawn in the top left was perhaps the most impressive lawn I've painted, and it only took a few brush strokes. Although it was just filler it is actually pretty neat. This painting reminds me of Bolton and the summer. 

Wild flowers next to Path Bolton , watercolour 8 x 10" cold press, July 2023 (No. 3622)

No comments:

Post a Comment