Friday, March 27, 2020

Spring leaf buds, Benny Farm, NDG Montreal

My neighborhood Notre Dame de Grace can use a little good publicity these days it is not exactly a tourist hot spot, although it probably never was ! This area is called Benny farm, it used to be a farm, and then a dilapidated run down apartments and now it has a sports complex, a cultural center and library (seen on the left), a medical clinic (seen on the right) and community housing (seen in the middleground). In the far distance is that huge 17 story apartment building on Sherbrooke. Today was an amazing day, the sky was electric, the sun was shining and the breeze was cool. I liked this scene because of the composition, and also because the tree was just making leaf buds which made me feel good about spring coming. There is a small snow bank at the end of the parking lot melting away.

I will try to finish this blog without talking about pigments, how about I write about my signature? For years I used the scribble signature you see here in the bottom right... P---- D---t---- , but lately, I have been using my initials PJD from time time if there is no good spot to sign. I now add the year somewhere hidden, in this case it is written on the side of the building like graffiti. I said I wouldn't talk about colour, but just one thing, I used potter's pink (PR233) for the warm grey in the road, sidewalk, and branches of the tree, and it was fantastic.

5 x & " rough press, watercolour, March 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment