Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Sports Dome and PERFORM Centre

On my way to the laboratory today I stopped to make a painting in the cold weather. The Concordia Sports dome (left) has been up since last year. On the right is a glimpse of the side of PERFORM Centre where my lab is located on the top floor. The Centre has stylized windows and on the front, an etched mural of people exercising which you can't see in this painting. With this kind of cold, I needed to add a lot of salt to the water, which prevents freezing but also slows down the drying process. That means a painting stays wet and mushy, and would get messed up if it went back into the folder right away. So I resurrected an old wood frame I made 20 years ago- it provides protection, and also keeps the paper attached. I put a few pics below. The other new thing, I was standing up the whole time, and had arranged my bag to have the water and brushes easier to work with while wearing heavy gloves.

Sports Dome and PERFORM Centre, 5 x 7.5" cold press, watercolour, January 2021 (No. 2541a)


top view, this is an old pad empty of its paper, I cut to size, then fixed the wood rack with two elastics. The paper is held firm on the thick cardboard backing. You can also see my home 'studio' in the background which is half of our kitchen table.



side view, when closed, the painting is protected when wet, and can dry without smearing or lifting of the paint. This helps if painting watercolours in extreme cold, also useful in moist humid conditions or rainy conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment