Monday, September 5, 2022

Ride to Récréo Parc across the River

 

Across the River is the south river canal which is still used for large shipping vessels. This view was painted from the bike path that goes along the canal all the way to Récréo Parc. The islands in the canal are bird sanctuaries. To my surprise, I only brought along one brush, the large camel hair brush used for cleaning the palette. Since I was over 20 km out I decided to make the most of it and do the paintings anyways!

Bird Sanctuaries, South River Canal, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2022 (No. 3234)

 

 

The south canal is separated from the river by a 20 meter wide strip of land which was probably made with heaps of rocks and earth. To the sides of the path grow scrub trees, sumac, grass, and all sorts of flowers and greenery. I liked the way the shadows cast across the curving path. 

Path along South Canal, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2022 (No. 3235a)

 

A massive shipping vessel chugged through the canal at slow speed. I got ahead of it and set up my bike/studio and captured just the rear-end, or aft as they say in the naval world. Making detail with a 2 inch round hog's hair brush was no small feat. The ship, which was one of Paul Martin's fleet as indicated by the markings, was way gone by the time I finished the painting.

Shipping Vessel in South Canal, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2022 (No. 3236a)

 

Finally I made it to Récréo Parc, I was about 26 km from home at this point. The islands in the background are Heron Island or more likely Devil's Island, and the buildings on the horizon are in Verdun. The water was a sparkling mix of turquoise, chartreuse, sap green, pale blue, and neutral purples. Using a 2 inch hog's hair brush suited the subject matter perfectly, it created good texture and easily flowing lines. You can see the purplish shadow in the foreground caused by the tall trees all around me.

View of Lachine Rapids from Récréo Parc, watercolour 8 x 10" cold press, September 2022 (No. 3327)

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment