Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Sunflowers on a Rainy Day

After picking up some lunch I walked down Harley street to the field where I painted many chairs before. Today it was raining steadily, so I had to paint while standing, with the umbrella tucked into my shirt and held precariously by my chin. A shoulder bag, actually the bike bag, had the paints, paper, brushes and water. Instead of painting chairs this time, I turned to the community garden and a large circle of sunflowers. Against the grey sky, the yellow really stood out, and the greens took on olive tones. The idea to paint the rainy sky with a strip of black (PBk6) came from the Japanese print designers who used a similar device to depict storm clouds. For the rest of the paintings it was just a matter of channeling Van Gogh, the dutch painter famous for his sun flower still life oil paintings.
 

Sunflowers on a Rainy Day, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2022 (No. 3240)

No comments:

Post a Comment