Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Farewell Québec City for now!

 

On the last day of the trip I took a walk around the train station with my luggage in tow and paints at the ready. There was a wonderful view of the city from across a bay, it looked as if all the building were piled up on each other. One house stood out from the others, it had a red roof and was on a slightly different angle which I exaggerated to make it stand out in the painting. The Château Frontenac sat majestically atop the scene, set in among a myriad of spires and domes. I took a vastly simplified approach to the buildings and their many windows. A neutral grey was first applied, then brick colours were painted around the window shapes, followed by a brief brush stroke for each window.

Château Frontenac atop the city, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August 2023 (No. 3532b)

 

The wind was blowing steadily which created interesting ripples on the water surface. I liked how the composition only shows part of the actual building, but significantly more of it reflecting on the water. At the left are the noses of several of the motor-cruise style boats. Reflecting on the Québec City trip as a whole I was quite pleased with the new people I met and new things learned from the conference, and the quality of the paintings was fantastic, a lot of people have checked out the blog more than usual which is great to see as an artist. There will definitely be more in the future although typically I find it harder to paint a lot in September and October as the grants are due and the classes begin at the University. I've never made excuses after all these years, I just keep on painting!

Marina with building reflection, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August 2023 (No. 3533)

No comments:

Post a Comment