Friday, October 11, 2024

Dagwood's restaurant at night

 

It is such an interesting shape, and with an unusual variety of colours. I have painted this Dagwood's restaurant many times before, this time is was very dark. I applied the sky first, and outlined the building and background elements in dark paint. It was a matter of building up the washes and textures to give the impression of artificial light. My gloved hand made an imprint on the left side, which tends to happens when I paint on location since I hold the paper in front of me. I quite like the way this one turned out, you can almost imagine walking up and getting a subway sandwich. I changed the name to my initials mostly to save space, although I did copy the style of the actual lettering.

Dagwood's at night, watercolour 6 x 7.5" cold press, October 2024

 


No comments:

Post a Comment