Monday, October 5, 2026

Autumn canal bridge and industrial

With Autumn well underway, trees are turning various shades of yellow, orange and olive. The grass is also lightening to olive and brown tints. I did the water with a three-toned blue wash, let dry, then applied a variety of wavy lines. 

Autumn colours canal lock, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, October 2026

Here is a view of the highway 10 overpass bridge span, with a shimmering canal in the foreground. Similar to the previous painting, I applied the washes first, then over-painted with wavy strokes. The foliage was done with heavy mixes of yellow ochre (PY43) and various other Autumn-like colours.

Bridge canal shimmer, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, October 2026

Making my way to the Kruger paper factory, I did this painting of a cargo-train, and silos in the background. The forms were built up with successive layers, texturing, and detailing with brush-work. It was a mostly monochrome scene, just blue from the sky with greyish beige throughout. So I emphasized purple (PV55) in the shadow areas. 

Kruger train silos, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, October 2026

Running out of many paints on my palette, I had to make due, and use lots of purple! It came out looking earthy and almost psychedelic. 

Autumn trees ess curve, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, October 2026  

No comments:

Post a Comment