Sunday, October 4, 2026

All the views, Old Malt

Taking a tour around the Old Malt building slated for redevelopment, I did this one from its east side. An interesting roof line made for decent composition, and the patch work of graffiti added ambiance. The sky yesterday had a thin layer of textured clouds stretching across. 

Side horizontal old malt, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, October 2026

At this time of year the sun stays low, which casts a slightly amber glow due to atmospheric effects. In this horizontal composition I also included the pink house, and a few other features including the bright sun orb. The pink house was part of the maltage, but some street artists painted it in its iconic colour, and added green shutters and fake flow pots. It also lights up at night from the inside, also here.  

Bright sun old malt, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, October 2026

Looking up, you see a crumbling brick facade, a plethora of plants growing, and pigeons roosting high on top. It was a neat perspective. Locals and tourists were milling about, some photographing the structure, and a few intrepid explores wandering about inside the fence which is not allowed. As I painted, there was a distinct buzzing sound, like a large bee, then I spotted a small drone flying around the building high up. So I decided to investigate further. 

Looking up old malt, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, October 2026

 

Leaving my bike on the street, taking the bike bag, ignoring the no trespassing signs and danger sings, I hopped over the 3 meter fence, easily scaled the side of the old malt building with my bare hands, its about 20 stories tall, and found my way to the apex, the pink house. It was a dangerous and foolish thing to do, and I could have gotten in trouble, or worse. But it may be the last chance to explore. Here is the view standing next to the pink house, looking down. And the drone buzzed past me, probably catching it on film. Darn, I suppose there is a YouTube video now of me standing up there with my bike, making a painting. Or, my bike was on the ground, that was the story.

Looking down old malt drone, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, October 2026

 

No comments:

Post a Comment