Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Alhambra, Granada, Spain


This is one of the many paintings done on the Europe trip ten years ago...has it been so long? Most of the paintings from the trip are 5x7 inches, midway through the trip I ran out of watercolour paper and had to by some in Seville. Because I did not speak Spanish I made up a sentence from my translation book that was supposed to say "do you know where an art supply store is?" but it must have said something else because nobody could tell me, or perhaps they did tell me, but their response was in Spanish of course. At any rate, this painting was done in Granada at the famous Alhambra, once built by Muslims to be mecca, is now a well maintained tourist attraction. The scene is part of a central gathering area, they were setting up plastic chairs for an evening event.

It was very hot that day, making the paint dry fast allowing me to create many intricate layers of paint. I started with the outlines and put on the first colour wash, note the shadows are filled with reflected light, yellow from the sun filled walls and blue from the sky. The hardest part was getting the curves right, the whole drawing is freehand, but it seemed to work out ok! 

 

Granada, Alhambra, circular space, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, 1998 (No, 0195)

No comments:

Post a Comment