Monday, March 31, 2008

First Drawing

I thought this drawing would be interesting to show, it is one of my first drawings (done in 1981, age 5). I clearly remember sitting in the living room in front of the TV, doing the drawing. I used a plastic stencil (which allows you to trace shapes) to draw the TV and the stand. The colour was filled in with pens or crayons. Most of all I remember doing the leaves of the plant. There were no shapes in the stencil that looked like plant, so I used freehand drawing. I remember an excited feeling... the lines were no longer constrained by the stencil and I could make whatever shape I wanted.

The same style is found in my current work; I bring a contrast between controlled lines with freehand form and abstract thinking. By the way, the initials were made a lot later, the interlocking PD design was developed around 1990, but I stopped using initials since then in favor of the unidentifiable scrawl that currently marks my work.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing. Looks like you even added shadow under the TV and on the plant! You should show some of your first watercolors too, some time.

    ReplyDelete