Thursday, March 27, 2008

Gibraltar, Spain/UK


I never did finish the story about the paper bought in Spain. After I got back from my trip the paintings were stored in a box and after a few years half of them were starting to turn a little yellow. This was a little concerning because watercolor paper is supposed to be good for 200 years, although I don't know for sure who will be checking. Anyways, it turns out that all of the paintings done post-Granada, where the paper was bought, had the yellow tinge! My guess is that the paper was already approaching 200 years old, like everything seemed to be in Europe.

This painting was done in Gibraltar, or, 'Gib-the dirty little hole' as a friend of mine from the UK described it. Yes, it was somewhat dirty, but the scenery was amazing. The freighter boats can be seen coming into the bay, the hills of Andulsia on the far side shrouded in mist. The painting was a little tricky due to the humidity and failing sun, I let the scene dry completely before overlaying the palm trees. Some of my favorite paintings from the trip came from the Gib, including Monkey Thinking and the Rock of Gibraltar, which I will post soon. 

Gibraltar, Palm Trees, Ships,  watercolour 5 x 7"cold press, 1998 (No. 0927)

No comments:

Post a Comment