Saturday, June 6, 2020

Failure to Understand, Something to Learn

Fish can represent good luck or good fortune in some cultures. In the background is a depiction of my fish tank at the time, I can identify fancy tail guppies, a plecko algae eater and the old decorations I had in the tank. I still have the tank stand that was built to last by Dad. The rest of the scene shows living creatures fused to machines, and a herd of wild buffaloes. The foreground shows two buffaloes and an onlooker, or perhaps a dreamer.

The theme has something to do with interactions between humans and animals such as keeping pet fish, manipulating animals through breeding or genetics, or hunting animals to near extinction. Aside from the philosophy here, I am noting the contrasts between neutral, de-saturated hues with bright high chroma hues. The yellow sunset with the buffalo herd in twilight (bottom center) really stands out. My style at the time was dark, lyrical, and contemplative with splashes of light, form and colour. It would stay like this more or less until "The 2010 Solution" where I began a lighter more graphical style. 

22 x 30" cold press, watercolour, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment