Sunday, June 7, 2020

Angrignon Metro Station, green line, southwest borough, Day 2

In the evening I contemplated the work done down at Angrignon Station that day and felt unsatisfied. While there was a lot to like about the paintings, the oranges were considerably off, and the structural drawing was lackluster. The next day (which is actually today as I write the blog), I headed down again to parc Angrignon and sat on the same location of the first painting although the shadow had shifted due to earlier time of day. One thing I had been missing was a pencil sketch which was always part of the plan for the metro station series. My new sketch book was way to big and heavy so I grabbed an old highschool sketchbook that was only half full; it was much lighter. In the scan, you see a preliminary sketch where the scene was changed to horizontal, and a more detailed sketch below where I was able to identify the key structural elements.

Another adjustment was that I brought along some benzimida orange deep (PO36) from Da Vinci company that I recently obtained. It was nearly the perfect orange with a little vermilion hue (PR255) added, and with slight tonal adjustment. The main thing was getting the drawing right which I executed in neutral tint (PBk6, PV19, PB15). Then I completed the grey neutral concrete, the sky, and some of the foliage before applying the orange. My mistake on the oranges the day before was putting them down first on the unpainted paper. By adding them last, I could better judge their hue, chroma and lightness. It real life the oranges were slightly brighter, but it looks pretty close, and it looks quite natural this way. I find this painting to be much more accurate, although it misses some of the verve in the initial sketches. As mentioned these works were preliminary, I don't plan on returning to this location but will see about turning this into a finished work along with some photos I took. The day 1 Angrignon blog is in this link.

This is part of 'The 27 stations of the green line metro, Montreal' series.

7 x 10" cold press, watercolour, June 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment