Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Trenholme Dog Park at Night

  Painting at night brings about a whole new set of challenges, but the dogs don't care they just want to run around! Trenholme park has a dog park, which is open all year around including winter. This location is nearby the Lufa Farm vegetable drop off point, so I made a quick painting on my way to pick up the haul. Only the underpainting could be completed, I finished the details (including the dog) later at home from memory. I used my cell phone to pull up a picture of a running dog. At night the snow takes on an eerie amber glow from the lamp, and the sky is a dark blue almost turquoise. Van Gogh did some famous paintings on location at night including "Café Terrace at Night" and "Starry Night over the Rhone" by affixing candles to his (straw) hat. His most famous painting "Starry Night" may have been done mostly from memory. I can see the appeal of night paintings, the colour and compositions are completely different than during the day.   

Trenholme Dog Park at Night 5 x 7.5" cold press, watercolour, February 2021 (No.2556)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment