Monday, January 16, 2023

Deep A.I. Gumdrop Tornado


To create this abomination of a painting I started by typing the phrase 'gumdrop tornado' into an artificial intelligence website called deepai.org machine-learning-model/abstract-painting-generator. After a few seconds, out popped an original digital abstract image. The artwork you see above is a real watercolour painting that I just completed based upon the AI image, with some modifications. I elongated the ratio to make a landscape format, but otherwise I tried to follow the AI image. The colours were very bright and I could tell that the programmers had taught the AI using actual paintings because the hue and chroma closely matched actual paint which made my job easier. 

 Deep A.I. Gumdrop Tornado v1, watercolour 12 x 16" cold press, January 2023 (No. 3356)

So how does it work? Complex algorithms (math equations) are used to morph an image towards a final goal, in this case, an abstract design including gumdrops and a tornado. Presumably the algorithm was drawing upon stock file images of the key words, and morphing it into what appears to be a mid-20th century abstract style. A few things I noticed about the image, the spheres were not perfect circles, the shadows were often wrong, and some of the objects are illusions created by overlapping elements. With respect to copyright, the web site said that any image produced was free of copyright, although I have a feeling that other artists' paintings were used to teach the thing. I have two more AI images that I might turn into paintings, but its not something I would do regularly, I have enough ideas of my own!

Here is the AI image that was produced: 



No comments:

Post a Comment