Friday, January 13, 2023

Lachine Canal, Sunset on a Snowy Night


After painting the fresh snow on a table in the field with broken chairs, I tromped down to the canal to see if the sun was setting. There is a highway overpass here which I could stand underneath, and some lamps along the path which helped, although I had my trusty head lamp with me. The lamps were creating alternating patches of light orange and blue, and the traffic on st Patrick across the canal gave a distant glow. The canal itself was totally covered in fresh snow and it was reflecting the violet and peach from the sky and sunset. The painting was so moist that I had to add the lamp posts and central trees at home once the rest of it dried properly. It wasn't until I started to write the blog that I noticed the snow-effect, which was literally created by snow hitting the paper while its still moist. It was a difficult slog to walk down to the canal and back after a long day at the office but in the end well worth the effort.

Lachine Canal Sunset on a Snowy Night, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, January 2023 (No. 3391)

No comments:

Post a Comment