Sunday, February 19, 2023

Warm and Wet Sunday Bike Ride

With temperatures soaring to +4℃ by mid-day it was practically tropical here in Montreal. The trouble with warmer temperatures like this is that the snow melts into a slushy pack making it difficult to walk around or ride the bike. I rode my bike as far as the train bridge that crosses the Lachine Canal, a scene that I have painted many times before. There was a coral sunset in the background with cold dark clouds. I omitted the giant elevated highway that dominated the foreground to focus the composition on just the bridge.

Train Bridge over Canal Winter Sunset, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, February 2023 (No. 3401)

On the way back I tested the Maisonneuve bike path which was at least half clear and okay for riding. This scene is in Westmount Park where there is normally a donut-shaped pond and small island in the middle. Judging by the snow embankments the pond area was empty of water, just the surrounding lamps could define the shape. The sun was down by now, and I used my head lamp to complete the painting. In the past, I would never have pulled off a painting like this due to the low light conditions. To get the effect, I started with a blue-grey background and the sunset, leaving the lamp areas blank. Since I was using fresh water today, not salt, it dried well and allowed for the complex overlays and detailing. 
 

Evening Lamps Westmount Park, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, February 2023 (No. 3398b)

No comments:

Post a Comment