Saturday, December 19, 2020

Sun Setting on Somerled

 


Getting closer to winter, the days are shorter and the nights are colder. I've made some adjustments to my painting routine, for example less outdoor painting and more indoor painting. I snuck out yesterday to make this one in front of our condo, looking west towards the setting sun. I learned that it takes 300 grams of salt per kg of water to keep it from freezing. Unfortunately with that much salt in the water, and the dark cool climate, the paint does not dry very fast. It was a challenge to control the watery paint but I managed to get 99% of this scene completed on location. I just fixed the tires under the car which had completely blended in with the shadow. The painting has an eerie, winter glow.

Sun Setting on Somerled, 5 x 8" cold press watercolour, December 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment