Saturday, December 5, 2020

World Inspired Landscapes: Barbados

 For the first time in the series I painted a country that I have visited and painted in the past. After a few tropical beach-style paintings of Bahamas and Bahrain, I wanted to try a different kind of composition and use my own memories of the trip. Of course, I completed dozens of paintings on the Barbados trip, but my very first view of the island was from the airplane as it tilted to the left and began to descend through the clouds. A small emerald island became visible from the sprawling ocean, and I wondered if it would even be big enough for a jumbo jet to land on. Sure enough, there was a never-ending stream of jumbo jets landing and taking off from Barbados. The main feature of the island was a ring of beaches, and a single highway that went along the coast. This small painting is my memory of looking through the clouds out the window of the airplane back in 2002, and seeing Barbados for the first time. 

World Inspired Landscapes: Barbados 3 x 4 1/4" watercolour, cold press, December 2020


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment