Sunday, May 23, 2021

World Inspired Landscapes: China

 


I started the World Inspired Landscapes series in 2020, but in 2001 I made a couple of paintings inspired by the Yangtze river in China. They were painted on a very thin watercolour paper using professional watercolour paints mostly from Winsor and Newton at that time. I was part of a Chinese art and calligraphy group for a few years and learned many things about art and culture. The first painting shows the steep cliffs and lush greenery that used to be there before the Yangtze was flooded to build a power dam. The chartreuse is particularly brilliant in the water reflections. 

Yangtze River with Boat, 9 x 12 Watercolour paper, 2001 (No.1418)

 

Here is a magnificent panorama of the mountainous spires that guard the flanks of the Yangtze. Pastel tones suggest a misty sunrise. A lone tree clings to the mountainside, and a group of birds flies in the distance. The tints are likely rose madder genuine an impermanent pigment, perhaps I will repaint this one with modern pigments on a better quality paper. It reminds me a little of the painting Sunrise on the Saguenay, Cape Trinity by Canadian painter Lucius O'Brien which you can see here. I also did a painting on Réunion island inspired by 'Sunrise on the Saguenay', which I used to have a poster of on my wall.

Yangtze River Panorama, 9 x 12" Watercolour paper, 2001 (No. 1754)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment