Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Evening ride to St. Lawrence River

 

On a moonless evening I rode my bike down to the Lachine area where the canal meets the St. Lawrence river. At the end of a long park there is a great view up the river where I have made several paintings before. The view to the far shore, which is west island, was dotted with lights and a few stars were visible. Without a moon the colours were indigo and dark red violets. Amber light from the park illuminated some foreground foliage.

Evening View up St. Lawrence River, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, July 2022 (No. 3178b)

 

Capturing the reflections was an interesting challenge considering that there is no white paint in typical watercolour. I started with the shore line using a mix of carbon black (PBk6) and perylene green (PBk31). The foreground shoreline was illuminated by a strong amber light that was behind me. I used variations of orange and olive, and captured the tree shadow and my shadow (with bike!) by adding a touch of purple. The purples were mostly indo blue (PB60), pyrol orange (PIO73) and quin violet (PV19)

Evening View of Lachine, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, July 2022 (No. 3179)

 

On the way back I saw the concrete factory up on Patrick street, it was brightly illuminated from underneath. Trucks were filling up with product, so the whole factory was whirring and bumping and making smoke. The sketch elements went down first, then I quickly filled in the lights and darks using wet-in-wet and dry brush techniques. After a few minutes, the mosquitos found me! Next time I will remember to bring some bug spray.  

Lachine Canal Factory in Evening, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, July 2022 (No. 3180a)

No comments:

Post a Comment