Thursday, April 20, 2023

Marché Fruiterie Cité

Marche City Fruiterie is a great store down by the train tracks that sells fresh fruit, veg, spices, and interesting dry goods. I often walk down there for lunch hour, and stop by the Snowdon Bakery down the street. I painted a similar scene in 2019 with a wider view. You may not even notice it but I used yellow ochre (PY43) throughout the painting, including in the sky, the bricks and on the sidewalks. After the first washes, the sidewalks and roads looked too cold, kind of blue violet, but after applying a thin glaze of yellow ochre they were infused with the illusion of sunlight. The bright yellow in the sign is probably PY97, and azo yellow dye, but I sometimes loose track of which bright yellow is on my palette because they are all pretty much the same. Yellow ochre is actually an orange-yellow but the one I have is very close to yellow. Its such a useful paint I bought a 37mL tube which is a large size that should last for many years to come, perhaps a decade even at the rate I am paining.

Marché Fruiterie Cité End of Winter,  watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, April 2023 (No. 3435a)

No comments:

Post a Comment