Saturday, September 4, 2021

Dépanneur Verdun at Night

On Verdun street in Verdun there is a Dépanneur called Dépanneur Verdun. Fun? I made this painting real quick last night on the way back to NDG, the sign was actually even taller than this but I just had the 5 x 7" paper block. The shop keeper was standing outside the whole time under the sign, when I turned the bike around he was interested to see the painting and we talked a bit. He thought perhaps he was in the painting, but I told him I rarely include people in the paintings, just signs and buildings. If I do include people its usually just anonymous squiggles. 

To paint the sky here I used indo blue (PB60) with carbon black (PBk6) and then more black as the sky went up. The keys to this paining were the orange reflection on the brick, and the jet-black steel frame around the sign, which I did with a heavy mix of indo blue, perylene maroon (PR179), perylene green (PBk31) and carbon black. The blue sky provides an interesting complement to the warm orange light from the sign.

Dépanneur Verdun at night, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2021 (No. 2809)

No comments:

Post a Comment