Thursday, June 16, 2022

Applied Physiology Laboratory

It seemed like I was done painting for the day after the morning's efforts, but then torrential rain struck in the late afternoon. Riding it out downstairs in the applied physiology laboratory (aka "my" laboratory), I decided to try an interior scene. Working on another Cezanne-inspired theme, this painting is essentially a still-life composition but instead of apples and table cloths there are microscopes and bottles. Everything was bathed in an eerie turquoise light. The robot-looking thing in the foreground is called an Alpha-Innotech imaging system. Twenty five years ago it was state-of-the art, complete with a 10 megapixel high speed camera and multiple light sources. It also costed fifty thousand Canadian dollars back when it was new on the market, and I remember my supervisor asking the Robart's institute to pay for one. This is a different unit of course, I inherited it from the previous occupants of the laboratory. Just today, with time to pass, I managed to get it working again and took an image of my hand just to see if it worked. So good news it still works, and it was free!
 

Applied Physiology Laboratory, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, June 2022 (No. 3144)

No comments:

Post a Comment