Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Palette Update, Fall Colours


 Back in the old days I kept very few records of what my palette was, save one painting which gave a glimpse of my 2006 palette, and a photo from the same year. At that time I was organizing the paints according to need, there was a section for trees/grass, sidewalks, sky, etc. More recently I moved towards a rainbow arrangement, according to hue angle, as seen in palette cleanser 17 blog, and a photo

The new setup for October emphasizes fall colours, the entire top row is yellow, brown, orange, red and magentas. The bottom row includes a yellow for mixing cools, and other cools green to blue-violet. Also carbon black which is becoming very useful as I learn how to use it properly. It has been cool to see how my palette changed this year due to new purchases, but also due to seasonal changes. I notice which colours I use more or less as the seasons change.

The only 'original' paint here, I mean from back when I started painting, is burnt sienna (PR101/PBr7). Every other colour that I relied on for nearly 30 years of painting is gone! Replaced with modern equivalents and new options. I bought a lot of new paints this year and they are all good, but these ones are some of my favorites. The umber (5th from the left, top row) is a coffee-with-milk kind of brown, and very versatile in trees, concrete, dirt. The PV55 violet (last top row) is an almost magical paint that was only introduced on the market the past few years, it makes great shadows and tints. And the phthalo green yellow shade which is so much easier to use than the winsor green I had. I will keep tweaking things, I want to put PR179 perylene maroon back on to keep perylene green company. 

October 7, new palette setup, sketchbook, 2020

Note: about a week after this blog I replaced the PR209 with PR179. I also swapped positions on the PBr7 raw sienna and PY110. It is all working out great but do I miss phthalo green blue shade on the palette.

No comments:

Post a Comment