Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Sunday Painting, fall in the neighborhood


I got out for a quick Sunday painting trip in the neighborhood of NDG while the weather held up. This is a small park near the Provigo on Sherbrooke street called Parc Herbert-Outerbridge. The building is the old library before it moved to the new Benny cultural center. There were a lot of different colours and textures too. On the right there were several sumac trees that turned all manner of yellow through red, and on the left a crab-apple tree. 

Parc Herbert-Outerbridge, old library, 5 x 7" cold press, October 2020

 


The path caught my attention, it carved an interesting triangle into the composition. This is a smaller version where the building is de-emphasized, and the colour scheme is warmer than the first version. It is not often I paint the same scene twice like this but there was a great bench to sit on and the weather was actually quite nice. This smaller format I started using lately makes it easier to do an extra painting here and there.  

Parc Herbert-Outerbridge, old library and path, 4 x 6" cold press, October 2020

 


I had seen this bush on the way to the other location but there was no real place to sit. I circled around on my bike and finally found an okay angle. To make the colour I combined ferrari red, perylene maroon, and quinacridone magenta. A little perylene green darkened it at the bottom. The rest of the painting was made from variations on earth tones. It was a surprisingly complex scene, and the weather was starting to get unpleasant. It was so windy my bike blew over onto me in the middle of doing this painting. The leaves on the ground were interesting, the wind was causing them to swirl and lift. 

Near Benny sports complex, red bush, 5 x 7" cold press, October 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment