Sunday, March 7, 2021

Ice Flow St. Lawrence River

 

Today's painting was the ultimate challenge- bitter cold, fierce wind and a difficult subject matter consisting of ice flow on the St. Lawrence river. The location is a familiar one by now, I did the May Flies painting last spring and a cold fall scene from a different angle. Last time I was out here the cold wind was too much, so this time around I doubled up my layers and had the trusty moose mitts, which keep my hands warm but its like painting with oven mitts on. About half way through this painting I found a way to use my right hand to stabilize the painting board whilst also doing the brush strokes. The painting turned out great, the ice flows were a yellowish colour done with yellow ochre (PY43) sparkling in the deep blue river water which was done with phthalo turquoise (PB16), indo blue (PB60) and a touch of carbon black (PBk6). I feel like this was my "winter painting course" final exam that put all the knowledge and tricks to the test. I'm hoping the weather warms up, next I would like to take the "spring painting course" !

Ice Flow St. Lawrence River, 5 x 7.5" cold press, watercolour, March 2021 (No. 2578)

No comments:

Post a Comment