Friday, December 31, 2021

World Inspired Landscapes: Canada!

The World Inspired Landscapes series has been almost entirely based on research and observations from the internet, with the exceptions of Barbados and Brazil which I had visited before. Doing a painting of Canada was funny because I practically do one every day! To set the challenge I decided to focus on Saskatchewan, a province which I have never visited before. With google maps I looked north, really north, to the famous Athabaska Sand Dunes provincial park, next to lake Athabaska and near the border of the Northwest Territories. At first glance you may think that this painting is of Egypt or somewhere else with a desert, then you notice pine trees and a cold looking environment. The location is approximately in the center of Canada, so it represents a good variety of familiar landscape elements.  

World Inspired Landscapes: Canada!,  watercolour 8 x 10" rough press, December 2021 (No. 2960b)

 

This was version 1, I used more yellow ochre and emphasized the sand dunes. The colour register and style just didn't seem rugged and Canadian enough, which I fixed in the final version. To paint the sand dunes correctly, I made many sketches of sand dunes from pictures of real deserts. There are still a lot of countries starting with the letter C.

World Inspired Landscapes: Canada, version 1,  watercolour 8 x 10" rough press, December 2021 (No. 2960a)

No comments:

Post a Comment