Sunday, August 16, 2026

A few scenes painted down in Verdun

Here is a typical scene from Verdun, lots of green and brown, its Lasage street which runs parallel with the aqueduct. Streets are wide and many of the buildings are two or three-story condos around here, with some aluminum siding. In the background, there are massive power lines that I downplayed in the paintings. 

Lasage street wide view, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August 2026

Looking in the other direction, standing near the pizza shop, I made a painting of this spiralling stair case with white iron railings. Like a DNA double helix, it swooped around with rows of steps. Its a hard thing to paint so I just went with the shape and theme of it without too much concern. Today's sky was a murky blue-green with wispy clouds. 

Lasage street vertical view, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August 2026

This wall is red, no doubt for covering graffiti. Someone (PJD26) had painted their name over top. The old factory is now an art studio, and some other small business sharing the ample space. These artisan-factory converts are always under threat of development. Its on the corner with Hickson street. 

Old factory red wall, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August 2026

Its a rare painting of the aqueduct. Most of the views are blocked by tall plants all along, and the bridge views are rather noisy and unpleasant locations. Today the Sunday traffic was light. To make the water colour I blend dilute phthalo blue (PB15) with raw umber (PBr7). I got a new tube of raw umber by Daniel Smith from the Kama pigment company by mail order awhile ago. Its a chocolatey brown colour like fresh earth or dark ground coffee.  

Aqueduct curve, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August 2026


No comments:

Post a Comment