Saturday, August 8, 2026

Bike ride through a few cool neighborhoods

More like ride through a few hot neighborhoods today, it was muggy and humid in Montreal. This scene is down in st Henri, looking at one of the many red-brick triplex condos. On the left side was signage for an old laundry mat called King, but I changed the sign to be my initials and the year. It took a while to build up the structure, washes and texturing for this painting, and it came together with the final details on the balcony, roof tiles and bricks. 

Corner triplex old laundry mat, watercolour 8 x 10" cold press, August 2026

Another scene from st Henri,  I was drawn tot he tree and found a good angle on it standing near the big grocery store corner. To do the tree, I made a wash of green plus yellow (PBk31 + PY184), then filled in yellow on the bottom with black on the top (PBk6). When dried, I applied a greenish black over top, and mixed umber (PBr7) with magenta (PV55) to make the trunk colour. It reminded me of the trees Van Gogh painted in southern France. That is Mount Royal visible in the background. 

Van Gogh tree, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August 2026

I needed the previous painting to dry a bit before applying the texturing, so I did this one looking east towards the big IGA grocery store, changed to PJD, and the main street which is Notre Dame street. 

PJD grocery, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August 2026


No comments:

Post a Comment