Sunday, August 9, 2026

Looking back: London Ontario, different seasons

These painting were all done on location around 2000 give or take a few years. I was more into abstract surrealism at the time, but made a few location paintings now and then. I remember sitting at home during winter nighttime, really wanting to go out and paint, so I headed to the parking lot under a strong overhead flood light. The snow-covered car with its red tail lights really stood out against the surrounding snow and murky dark-cyan sky. 

Car in parking lot winter, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press

These apartments were out in the farmer fields of north London, I wonder if any of those fields are still there? I guess that developments were made, like around Bolton. It was lightly raining, some time late autumn or early spring I'm not sure exactly. It seemed like the painting was a disaster but when I got it home and it dried, it looked fantastic. 

Apartments light rain, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press

I thought, if the lamp post is crooked, then I will paint it crooked! Its the same parking lot as the winter painting, but you see an autumn-orange tree in the background. 

Parking lot autumn, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press


No comments:

Post a Comment